Why We Give
As Christians, we recognize everything we have comes from God, and we are simply sharing these gifts for Kingdom work. Through our tithes and offerings, we demonstrate in a tangible way our love for God and our neighbors. Each year, we ask our members to commit to their tithes and offerings for the coming year in support of our church’s ministry and mission. We do this for three reasons:
- All we have is a gift from God, so we believe that giving to God’s work is an act of worship.
- At Frankfort UMC, giving is an expectation of membership. The church does not specify how much an individual should give, but we hope each person will commit a percentage of their income and increase that amount as they are able.
- Annual giving makes possible: worship, programs for children and students, Bible studies, small groups, pastoral care and support, mission trips, community service, and building and operational needs.
An Approach to Giving
- Begin with prayer. Thank God for your blessings and ask for guidance and discernment.
- Assess your income and giving. Determine your current giving as a percentage of your income.
- Set your giving goal. If you are not currently tithing (giving 10 percent of your income), start with a lower percentage and then plan to increase the percentage each year, growing toward the tithe. The important thing is to begin the spiritual discipline of regular, consistent giving.
- Determine your giving method. Take a look at the ways you can give and select the option that is best for both you and the church.
- Worship with gratitude. Present your offering or online giving cards you find in the pews during worship. As a congregation, we will express our gratitude to God and present our gifts, representing our commitment to God’s ministry through our church.